The WCRP International Project Offices (IPOs) and Joint Planning Staff (JPS) meet online regularly and the latest meeting was held on 29 June 2020, hosted by the CORDEX office.
Key activities and status were reported from all the IPOs during the telecon and the JPS reported on plans for the coming Joint Scientific Committee (JSC) meetings.
Iréne Lake, the CORDEX IPO director, presented some of the ongoing CORDEX activities:
- CORDEX Experiment Design for dynamical and statistical downscaling of CMIP6.
- CORDEX White Paper on the Future Regional Scientific Challenges for CORDEX.
- CORDEX workshops on Capacity Development, Flagship Pilot Study meetings and other regional workshops planned for 2020 will either be held online in the fall or postponed until 2021.
- Three longer online CORDEX Science Advisory Team-meetings were held 25 June, 30 June and 2 July to outline the way ahead.
- There will shortly be a call for Flagship Pilot Studies announced.
Messages from the telecon included:
- IPO staffs are gradually returning back to offices depending on the local situation.
- All WCRP projects/programmes are outlining their roles in the new structure of the WCRP.
- An extraordinary JSC session will be organised online in Nov/Dec of 2020
- The JSC-42 will be organised in May/June 2021. Modality and venue are yet to be decided.
- The WCRP calendar is being finalised with input from all IPOs.
- Many activities are being postponed to 2021 due to Covid-19 and the possibility to have joint or back-to-back events was raised.
- The next JPS and IPOs telecon will be organised in September and be chaired by GEWEX office.